Friday, August 30, 2013

Dark, grotesque, macabre: writing horror (part 1 of number unknown)

  There are many different literary genres, but one that I love, and the one I practice, is horror; and the title may have given away who one of my personal favorites is: namely, Edgar Allan Poe.
   His stories are dark and grotesque, something that may have resulted from how his life was, and the losses he experienced. I have in no way faced the same challenges and difficulties as him, and yet, I have found myself writing in similar style.
   Maybe I do so because I've read, from my early childhood, horror novels and stories, or maybe because by writing I express the dark side of me. No matter the reason however I often find myself thinking of macabre situations that could occur during my everyday life; like when riding the bus, or when I'm out with my friends.
   Just the other day three friends and I were driving through a mountain near Athens, and got lost. While the others were trying to find the way back home, I was thinking of all the crazy things that could have happened; but they never let me tell them my ideas, for they knew beforehand the dark way I think when it comes to stories and were already a little frightened.
    Horror is definitely a hard genre to sell, which means that, as a horror writer, I'll face more difficulties to find success and sell my stories, than, say, a science-fiction writer of equal talent. And I know just as well, that if I began writing stories in genres that are proven to be good sells, I'd find success much easier.
   But personally I don't think I can decide what to write, nor can I really decide how a story will unfold, no matter how strange it may sound. Often a story will transpire in my mind just as I write it, and I rarely know the end of a story I write, up until I've written it down.
  On other occasions however I sit down and write knowing exactly how the story will unfold; only to find out afterwards that I wrote it vastly different than I imagined it. However, details on how exactly I write, as well as more on the difficulties, if they can be called so, found in writing horror will have to wait the next entry.

No comments:

Post a Comment